Thursday 10th September 2020
Dear EHC member
The news is not good in that cases of the virus are beginning to grow again in Scotland. Once again, we implore you to remain vigilant and to follow the guidelines to safeguard ourselves and, just as importantly, those around us.
The government continue to publish their updates on the official site for Scotland with regard to going forward on a regular basis.
It is to be found on: https://www.gov.scot/coronavirus-covid-19/ or check -https://www.scojec.org/news/2020/coronavirus/community.html
This week our Services, Virtual Services and Sessions are as follows:
- On Thursday, depending on demand, is a ZOOM Shiur / Service at 5.00pm on theinsights of this week’s parshah.
- The pre-Shabbat ZOOM Friday night service will be this week at 6.30pm. A copy ofthe Sacks ‘Green’ Siddur can be delivered to you. Please ask the Hon. Secretary.
- On Shabbat morning, there will be a service held in the synagogue starting at 10.00am; and for men, please attempt to arrive punctually to ensure an early minyan.
- On Sunday morning at 9.00am, there will also be a service in synagogue.
- There will be a Coffee Morning this coming Sunday at 11.00am where we welcome EHC member Janet Carsten, an anthropologist and professor at the University of Edinburgh, and a fellow of the British Academy. She will talk of her work in the field ofsocial and cultural anthropology, having conducted research in Malaysia and Britain andtitles her presentation: ‘An Anthropologist of Malaysia, 1980-2020’Notice: Our popular coffee mornings will be taking a break for the Yomtovim resuming on Sunday 25th October with special guest Clive Lawton
- Tanach classes are held weekly on Monday at 5.00pm.
- The Rabbi holds a weekly ZOOM Shiur on Tuesdays at 5.15pm on the Structure of theTorah
- Also on Tuesdays at 7.30pm, the Rabbi will conduct a ZOOM Shiur:“Judaism 102 learning” -How and why of Jewish Practice; sessions of Jewish discovery”
For Entertainment: On Tuesdays the 15th September, 20th and 28th October, 7.30 – 9.30 p.m. There will be a Limmud Tour of Britain Brought to us by Limmud committees from outwith the large Jewish communities. Registration and info link https://limmud.org/event/limmud-tour-of-britain/2020-09-08/ Our chance to explore local Jewish communities and history as well as the usual Limmud mix of topics of national and global interest. Each evening will feature a choice of at least three sessions, running in parallel over two time slots, including the following sessions from Scotland:
‘The only Jew in the Village’ with Fiona Frank
The History of Klezmer with Phil Alexander
The Kabbalistic, Midrashic, and Talmudic content of Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining with Nathan Abrams
SCoJeC brings us today Thursday: Self Portraits: Know Yourself - with Randy Klinger where no experience of drawing is necessary – a list of what you need will be provided on registration. Class 10-12, master class 12-1.
Register here: tinyurl.com/scojeccreativethursdays
UK Jewish Film continues with its exciting programme: https://ukjewishfilm.org
The Jewish Music Institute presents an online programmes of concerts , lectures and documentaries that celebrate Jewish creativity and talent. Please visit www.jmi.org.uk.
And please continue to enjoy Arnold Picks.
The Edinburgh Star
Today, The Edinburgh Star, will be going live with a newly reinvigorated and up-to-date website where all past issues can be found. It will now incorporate a new SEARCH facility which will respond to key words or names. The Board of The Edinburgh Star have every confidence that this will be a most welcome resource not only for us members here in Edinburgh, but for our families and other interested parties here and abroad. The printed version for this year’s edition are being sent out this week.
For Communal Welfare:
Jewish Care Scotland are providing grants for those in need due to the Covid19 crisis.
Emergency hardship funding is still available from the Jewish Leadership Council. -https://theworkavenue.org.uk/covid19/.
We also wish to remind you that JAMI, the Mental Health Service for the Jewish community nationwide is offering free mental health support. This is where you can have text based counselling, online peer support, learn of self-help tools and access to a confidential online journal. Please see qwell.io/jami for more details.
Morrisons Supermarket provide a next-day doorstep delivery for even one item as a service for elderly and vulnerable customers. Please ring 0345 611 6111 ext.5 where you can speak with a representative who will take your order.
Mark’s Deli will be in Edinburgh next on Thursday the 10th of September in the early afternoon. Please contact them directly to place your order for groceries and ready prepared meals.
Chaim and Sora Jacobs offer the same service of ready prepared meals from Glasgow for delivery to Edinburgh, and a full listing of their menu is to be found on their website or by calling their number.
I attach a list of numbers and contacts:
Mark’s Deli 0141 638 8947 https://www.marksdeli.co.uk/deli.html
Sora’s Café 0141 638 6116 http://www.lubofscot.co.uk/lchaims/lunches.htm
Jewish Care Scotland 0141 620 1800 http://www.jcarescot.org.uk
As the Jewish Holidays are soon to be upon us, we repeat our mantra that no one should feel alone. We of the Welfare Group reiterate our wish to do anything we can do to assist you and request you to call upon us and to make use of the services we have on offer.
With best wishes for the coming week.
Welfare Group: Peter Bennett, John Danzig, Edward Green, Susie Kelpie, Carol Levstein, Harriet Lyall, Hilary Rifkind, Rabbi David Rose, Jackie Taylor