Tuesday, 30 June 2020
Dear EHC member
A week is a long time in politics and seems to be an equally long time under Covid. We have heard of the enormous strides that have been achieved in safeguarding our health in Scotland. May I just add a word of caution for all of us but for those shielded especially and that is to continue to respect the social distancing and other rules that are in place even when it may appear that those around us are flouting them. They are there for good reason!
The rules as amended may be a little confusing. Please see the Scottish Government’s official site for those living in Scotland:
This week our Virtual Services and Sessions are as follows:
- The Rabbi holds a weekly ZOOM Shiur on Tuesdays at 5.15pm.
- On Thursday, there will be a ZOOM Shiur at 5.00pm on the insights of this week’s parshah.
- The pre-Shabbat ZOOM Friday night service will be at 15pm. A copy of the Sacks ‘Green’ Siddur can be delivered to you. Please ask the Hon. Secretary.
- The next ZOOM Coffee Morning will be on Sunday the 5th July at 00am. and it will once again be hosted by Hilary Rifkind and convened by Peter Bennett where we welcome Dani Rotstein, the young dynamic leader of the Jewish Community in Palma, Mallorca. He will give a presentation about the fascinating history of the ‘Conversos’ on the island and the present-day Jewish Community. He will also include details of the old Jewish quarter.
- The ZOOM Tanach class is held on Mondays at 5.00pm
Advance notice for the Coffee Morning Sunday 12th July :
Susie Kelpie will be talking on the history of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
where she is Schools Programmer Manager
Morrisons Supermarket are now providing a next-day doorstep delivery for even one item as a service for elderly and vulnerable customers. Please ring 0345 611 6111 ext.5 where you can speak with a representative who will take your order.
Mark’s Deli will be delivering this Friday afternoon, the 3rd of July. Please contact them directly to place your order for groceries and ready prepared meals.
Chaim and Sora Jacobs also offer the same service of ready prepared meals from Glasgow for delivery to Edinburgh, and a full listing of their menu is to be found on their website or by calling their number.
I attach a list of numbers and contacts:
Rabbi David Rose
Hon. Secretary, Jackie Taylor
0141 638 8947
0141 638 6116
Jewish Care Scotland
0141 620 1800
Following the success of the Seret UK Virtual Film and Television Festival, Seret have decided to screen a whole range of Israeli cinema. Please see www.seret-international.org
And please continue to explore the wonderful and most enjoyable Arnold Picks each week.
I would remind you that if you are in need of guidance on legal, financial, welfare and benefit issues as a result of Covid 19, free advice is available from Jewish Care Scotland or from paperweight.org.uk
We, the Welfare Group, Peter Bennett, John Danzig, Susie Kelpie, Carol Levstein, Harriet Lyall, Hilary Rifkind, Rabbi Rose, Jackie Taylor and I, remain firmly in place with the mantra that no one should feel alone. Even though matters may ease, we will not be fully operational until the synagogue is open ‘for business as usual’, and we are all in place as we were. This may take very many months and the Welfare Group want you to know that we are available throughout this period and beyond for however we can assist and for however trivial you may feel it is.
With all kind wishes for the coming week.